Sunday 8 March 2015

Charity Cold Plunger

Every February the Australians organise a sponsored cold plunge to raise money for the homeless in Moscow. Basically you pay 2500 roubles for the privilege of diving into a frozen pond!! Colleagues from school have done it over the last few years, but I have always kept away from it. This year Jennifer, Louise and Sarah from church decided to do it. At the last minute Jennifer had to pull out as she had to represent the church at a funeral so I went along as official towel holder for Lou and Sarah. I didn't hold the towels, but I took some photos.

The event takes place on Serebryniy Bor or the Silver Forest. This is an exclusive island in the Moscow River with lots of dacha on. The American Embassy Dacha where Peter frequently goes for camps is here.

 Though the hole is used throughout the winter the ice has to be cleared from the surface every time you want to swim.
 If it's a bit thick take a saw to it!

Russian army chuck wagon powered by wood. I watched a guy fill the tray you can just see with water and three kilos of sugar. I didn't see the tea go in  but I expect that's what he was making!!


 Down the steps!
 Louise takes the plunge.
Sarah takes the plunge.
 They even took a quick swim!
Wrap up warm!
Kieran posed for pictures before he jumped in!!
 
Then it was off for lunch at a café. Being the photographer was quite enough for me!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment