Tuesday 10 July 2012

Welcome


So you have found me. Well done. I'll continue where I left off in May. It was half term. Victory Day dawned damp and cold and we hardly went any where. We watched the parade on the TV and that was it. However, I did take these photos of some youngsters a few days earlier off on their own parade. Their uniforms are very smart, but look carefully at the girls. They all wear these enormous puffs with their uniforms which looks really odd.


Peter went back to work so I set off on one of Phoebe's walks in an area called Chistie Prudy.



This is the entrance to Krasnye Voroda (Red or Beautiful Gate) station and is considered a classic.
 This is the Yusopov Palace and was a hunting lodge built in the 17th century. It has been extensively restored in the last few years, but getting inside is not easy so I didn't try. The last owner was Prince Felix Yusopov who murdered Rasputin (see the Yusopov Palace in St Petersburg in the previous blog). 
The red and white checked roof

Statues of the playwrights Alexander Volodin, Alexander Vampilov and victor Roxov


Two displays in an interesting knick knack shop




This curious building is 'The Egg House'. It was completed in 2002 but even now I don't know if it has ever been lived in. Certainly articles on the internet from 2007 indicate it hadn't. It is one of Moscow's curiousities.

The Sovremnnik Theatre which was designed by Roman Kelin who also designed the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum (where Mum and I saw the Dior exhibition) and TsUM departement stall (not to be confused with GUM).





This extraordinary art nouveau building is by the pond at Chistie Prudy and I cannot think how I missed it.

The walk was quicker than I expected and I had time to lose so decided to take the 39 tram and head towards Universitat. Peter and I did this run back in the winter and I had been to the top of the hill with Sheila.

From the metro I took a different route round the University and found this war memorial.

The front of the memorial

The back with an eternal flame

This mural is on the front of one of the newer university buildings

And so half term came to an end and we looked forward to the last few weeks of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment